Generative Design Internship
Generative Design Summer Intern
Industry Type: Commercial Steel Modular Construction
City, State: New York, NY
Deluxe Modular is one of the Country's largest Design-Build Steel Modular construction companies at the forefront of modular innovation, incorporating technology and BIM into everything we do.
Since 1965 we have been challenging the conventional wisdom that there is only one way to build a building. We are constantly re-examining each component of the construction process re-imagining new, better, more efficient ways to build. We are combining design, engineering, material science, procurement, production and construction into an integrated process to remove friction, create efficiencies, and deliver beautiful, sustainable projects on-time and within budget.
If you are a creative, innovative self-starter and want to work with a team of highly talented, dedicated professionals who are committed to changing the way America builds, we invite you to apply.
Our Generative Design team at Deluxe Modular is seeking a summer intern passionate about building a state-of-the-art generative design tool for design, manufacture, and assembly of volumetric steel modular buildings. The role will involve researching and developing generative algorithms in Grasshopper and Python. To accomplish these goals, you will work collaboratively with our outstanding team of dedicated creative teammates, including programmers, coders, architects, fabricators, contractors, and other engineers. Your work will contribute to our development of new innovative modes and methods using new materials and technologies to create better, stronger, lighter, more-sustainable, water and mold resistant, energy efficient buildings.
Qualified candidates will have an architecture background with demonstrable experience in computational design. The individual should be proficient in Grasshopper for day-to-day responsibilities and department needs and have familiarity with programming in Python and building Python libraries.
Essential job functions
• Ability to think and problem solve algorithmically
• Experience with novel computational design methods, rule-based systems, and generative models
• Work with Grasshopper programming routines and/or Python language to develop generative algorithms
• Establish & maintain positive relationships with co-workers, support and build others on the team and across disciplines/offices
• A seeker of knowledge, staying informed of developments in practice and software advances for sharing and collaborating with internal stakeholders
Please note: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
• Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
Required Education and Experience
• B.S. degree in Architecture/Computational Design from an accredited University or A.S. Degree with qualifying experience; M.S. or Ph.D. is a plus
• Experience with developing generative algorithms and generative design workflows
• Expert in Grasshopper
• Experience in Python is a plus
This job operates in a professional office environment and plant environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and tablets, phones, handheld computing and calling devices, photocopiers and filing systems.
The employee will be subject to prolonged periods sitting at a desk and keyboarding and working with a computer. Specific sensory abilities required by this job include vision- close, distance and peripheral, ability to discern colors, depth perception and ability to adjust focus; auditory- ability to hear directions and conversations; speech- ability to succinctly verbally communicate information and ideas to co-workers and clients.
Position Type / Hours of Work
This is a full-time internship position for 11 weeks from June 1 to August 14 , Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Work outside of this schedule may be required as business needs dictate.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Job Type: Full-time internship
Work authorization: Must be authorized to work in the United States
Work Location: 17 State Street, 19th Floor, NYC